It’s a Monday after a Patriots win, which makes the day a little bit better, am I right?
Here are the areas and players that deserve some good ole doughnuts this morning.
1. The QB Play: Tom Brady deserves all the doughnuts he wants all freaking week after that epic performance yesterday. He threw for 355 yards, 2 touchdowns, and 1 rushing touchdown against the number one ranked defense. And he did all of that with pressure from the defense and drops from his own players. Bravo.
2. The Passing Game: The Patriots passing game is better than any other team in the NFL. Yes, they are better at passing than the Green Bay Packers. They can beat you when their best wide out, Julian Edelman is having a down game, even though he caught 5 passes for 54 yards. Danny Amendola stepped up, Dobson made a few plays, and Gronk was his usual self. Too many weapons for teams to handle.
3. Special Teams: The Patriots special teams are excellent. They have a great punter who can flip field position on a dime and a great kicker who is the most clutch kicker in the NFL. He connected on all three of his field goals and extra points.
4. Run Defense: What a game by the run defense! Chris Ivory ran 17 times for 41 yards! This was after two 100+ yard performances against the Redskins and Dolphins and this was his lowest yard total rushing all season. The Patriots were determined to keep Ivory from beating them and they did just that. He only had 53 total yards. The run defense proved they could stop the run, especially when it’s in the game plan.
5. The Linebackers: The Patriots have the best linebacker core in the NFL. Dont’a Hightower and Jamie Collins were insane yesterday against the Jets. They stuffed the run and put pressure on the QB. They were 90% of the defense. Hightower totaled 10 tackles and recovered a fumble. Collins totaled 12 tackles and a sack.
Individual Players who deserve doughnuts.
1. QB Tom Brady:
He was lights out as I already previously stated above. He was awesome and the clear MVP candidate this season. The Jets best was not enough to top the Patriots and Tom Brady.
2. WR Danny Amendola:
What a game from Amendola whose off to a great start in 2015. He stepped up big time for Brady, catching a touchdown pass and climbing the ladder to make a big play. He caught 8 passes for 86 yards and 1 touchdown.
3. TE Rob Gronkowski:
Gronk caught 11 passes for 108 yards and 1 touchdown. When Brady needed him, Gronk was there, and with each passing game he’s proving how hard he is to tackle. The Jets have been just another long line of teams who couldn’t stop him.
4. SS Patrick Chung:
He had an excellent game against the Jets. He was the best cover guy on the entire field. He prevented a touchdown on one play and broke up a few other passes. He kept the Jets tight end in check. He was excellent.
5. CB Justin Coleman:
The rookie did really good. He gave up a touchdown and a few plays, but he mostly stood his ground. He played the best out of the corners on the field yesterday. I was really impressed with the rookie.