The Patriots host the Packers tonight in both team’s pre-season openers!
The game will begin at 7:30 ET and you can watch the game on the NFL Network or a regional network.
The first pre-season games are usually not the most important, but tonight should be a good one for Patriots fans, especially when it comes to the QB spot. Here are the five things to watch during tonight’s game.
1. Quarterback Play: I think we all want to know and see how backup QB Jimmy Garoppolo plays tonight, especially since he may be the starting QB for the first four games of the season. Regardless if Brady plays tonight or not, we should get an extended look at Garoppolo and probably a decent look at 3rd stringer Ryan Lindley. This is something everybody should play close attention to, how the Quarterbacks play in the spotlight.
2. The Secondary: One of the biggest question, probably the biggest one, is how will the secondary look? We will get a glimpse tonight when Malcolm Butler, Tarrel Brown, Logan Ryan, Bradley Fletcher, Darryl Roberts, and more go up against the Packers receiving core. Going against Jordy Nelson and Randal Cobb is a good measuring stick even if you face them only once or twice for a young defense.
3. The Running backs: LeGarrette Blount probably won’t play tonight after suffering an MCL sprain during practice last week. He was practicing the last two outings on a limited basis and I can’t see the Pats using him tonight, so an extended look at the running backs will be seen by us. Who will be the week one starter since Blount is suspended for the first game? That should become a little clearer tonight and who will be the 3rd down back? That also will begin to take more shape, and as of right now Bolden might be in the lead, but tonight will tell us for sure.
4. The wide receivers: There is an interesting battle going on for the Patriots number four WR spot and tonight we will see plenty of Brandon Gibson, Brian Tyms, and Josh Boyce battle it out. Trust me, they’ve been fun to watch this camp, tonight should be no different. It’s a must watch battle.
5. The OL: We should see plenty of backups tonight and we will see how much depth is on that line that was very shaky in the last few practices. We will see how they stack up tonight and it’s always important for the OL to play well, especially when a team like the Pats have suffered a lot of injuries this off-season.