The Patriots 2015 Super Bowl defending year begins tonight when the Champs host the Green Bay Packers for their pre-season opener!
Reports yesterday said Brady will not be playing tonight, but the 4x Super Bowl Champion is back in Foxboro today and new reports suggest the Pats haven’t decided if he will play tonight or not, regardless, here are the top 5 players you must be on the look out for tonight!
1. QB Jimmy Garoppolo: All eyes will be on the 2nd year QB, especially with Brady’s four-game suspension looming. Everybody wants to see him in action and tonight Pats Nation will get an extended look at the QB. Is he ready to assume control of the offense for the short term or does he need more time? Tonight will bring us a step closer in knowing that answer. Be on the look out for how long he holds on to the ball and how quickly he releases it. People have noticed those two things are a bit of a weakness for the 2nd year signal caller. Also, be on the look out for his touch and deep passes because those are his strengths.
2. CB Darryl Roberts: He’s the number one secondary player to be on the look out for, of course, any number of defensive backs could make a name for themselves tonight. Roberts had an awesome training camp and led the Patriots in pass breakups through 11 practices. He’s a rookie and he’s battling for a spot and playing time in an unproven Pats secondary.
3. Safety Jordan Richards: The rookie safety from Standford has been another defensive standout. He has played well at SS and FS and tonight we may get to see him do both. The Pats may also use him as a hybrid – LB, because of his impressive size. He has been extraordinary throughout camp and I can’t wait to see him against the Packers.
4. DT Zach Moore: He was a DE for the Patriots, but has moved over to DT after adding more size this off-season, a role that’s suppose to benefit him more. We will see if he can play well at that spot and help the Pats bring much needed heat on the Quarterbacks and stop the run.
5. WR Brandon Gibson: The battle for the fourth WR spot has been a good one with Dobson leading the way until another injury sidelined him. In his absence, Brandon Gibson has really stepped up and taking over the led in my opinion. Josh Boyce had an excellent camp, so he will have his chance to impress tonight.