The New England Patriots offense will be fine this season.
This team is definitely facing adversity this season, but they play their best ball against it.
Top five reasons New England’s offense will be fine:
1. Tom Brady: One of the best quarterbacks in the game. He has won a lot with lesser talent than what he will line up with this season. Brady won 3 superbowls with Givens and Branch as his main targets. He is a leader, veteran, experienced, and has the ability to make the whole team better. As long as Brady is healthy New England will be fine.
2. The running game: Stevan Ridley had over 1,000 yards rushing last season and 12 touchdowns. Having a good running threat will help enormously with play actions, which Brady is the best at in the league. It also opens up the passing game, and takes pressure off the wide receivers and the QB. Shane Vereen is a do it all back and can even line up in the slot, Vereen had an excellent game in the playoffs against the Texans. He had 83 yards receiving and 2 touchdowns in that game, and added a rushing touchdown. Vereen versatility will help New England even more than originally thought this season. Brandon Bolden, the runningback people have seem to forgotten about will be ready this season and healed up from his injuries. He had a good rookie year last year, providing a 100 yard game against the Bills and a touchdown, and then added 54 yards rushing the next week against Denver, while his counter part Ridley had 158 yards in that game. Bolden will be a great partner to Ridley, the two headed monsters will provide New England with a legit, scary, running game.
3. The wide outs: The wide receivers will have to step up and thankfully Tom Brady will be there to show them the way. Danny Amendola has to stay healthy this year, when he is healthy he is a great player, and will be one heck of a slot player for Brady. Dobson has to be a legit deep threat, and I expect him to be just that this season with his ability to make circus like catches. He will give opposing defenses a reason to fear the Patriot’s down the field. Also with his size along with Gronk or Ballard will give defenses fits in the redzone. Michael Jenkins is the x factor who I think no one is really talking about except the Patriots. In their mini camps he has been working with Brady one and one with Amedonla. Jenkins has solid hands, and is an excellent route runner and chain mover. Jenkins will help New England to pick up first downs, get up the field, and in the redzone provide an excellent target for Brady, as he stands at 6’4. Think about it like this, Gronk and Ballard are 6’7, Doboson is 6’3, and Jenkins is 6’4, and all of these players in the redzone will be fun for New England, so their redzone offense should be as good as it ever has been. Even if Gronk misses the first 6 weeks, you will still have 3 people over 6’2 which will be fun to watch, and will make it easier for Brady to find someone. The size of these new guys are going to help New England’s offense be as good as it has been in years past.
4. The defense: The defense is the key to winning a Superbowl. It always has been. Tom Brady and the offense can get us far, they have proven that, even getting us to the Superbowl but the defense has to help if we want to win it all. Against the Giants in 2011, the defense could not make one more stop to win the game, and they are awful against the pass. New England has taken steps to improve their defense, especially in the secondary, and I think the secondary will be a lot better this season. I think the defense will be improved and step up, the only question I have is will the pass rush step up too? If we have a really good-great defense then New England will be fine, even good enough to win that elusive 4th Superbowl. So here is to hoping that defense is back and better than ever.
5. Tight Ends: Lets not forget, the best tight end in the game will be back for New England, Rob Gronkowski, the only question with him is when? Jake Ballard will fill in the tight end role nicely because of his size and good hands, but he won’t be the fixture of the offense, and we probably won’t throw to our tight ends that much to start the season, unless Gronk is already back. Ballard is one of the best blocking tight ends in the game, he will be great in blocking for the run, so that is another plus. Ballard’s size will help in the redzone and with those big wide outs, it will help New England to score at will. When Gronk comes back and he is paired up with Ballard, that will be fun in the redzone and up the field as well, and will help Tom Brady tremendously. If Gronk is there to start the season then New England will be fine at tight end, if he is not, and it is Jake Ballard then New England will be okay there especially in the redzone. They will be good enough till Gronk gets back.
Fear Not New England fans, The Patriots are a great team still, they will continue to score a lot of points, and having big wide outs will pay off especially with Gronkowski. New England will still win their division and go far into the playoffs.