For those of you that do not know what “Catfish The T.V. Show” is, it comes on MTV on Monday Nights and it is about people who fall in love online and might not be exactly who they say they are. In this addition of Patriots Gab, we will take a look at some teams that are the “Catfish” of the NFL. Not exactly who they said they were, or we all thought they were.
1. Houston Texans: They had so many chances to clinch the first round bye, and they might not have had to travel to Foxborough, but after being 11-1 heading into the game with the New England Patriots, they lost to New England, falling to 11-2, but the losing didn’t stop there. They beat the Colts the next week, but then lost their next two games in the next two weeks to the Vikings and the Colts. Against the Colts the Texans needed to win to clinch the first round bye, but still lost it, and fell to the third seed. Up until December, the Texans were 11-1, and then finished the season at 13-5. The Texans were thought to be a great team, ready to make a Super Bowl run, but the Texans were proven to be nothing more then a Catfish, a team that was exposed, not who everyone thought they was. They are very close to making a Superbowl run, but they need to add a few more pieces, and Matt Schuab needs to step up and prove to be elite. They are not there but they are close.
2. Denver Broncos: Heading into the playoffs, the Broncos were thought to be the best and most complete team in the NFL, even though, they had lost to all the elite teams early in the season. There only key win in the season was against the Ravens when they blew them out. They were exposed in the playoffs, when facing the Ravens again. Their defense, more so, then anything else, was exposed. Peyton Manning did a great job in the game, he carried the team through out the game, even though scoring 21 points (the other two TDs were by special teams) seems low for the QB. John Fox, inexplicably took the ball out of Manning’s hand toward the end of the game, and put the ball in the hands of the RBs, causing the game to go to over time, after the defense let them down in a huge way. The defense was exposed as not very good against the pass. Flacco hit plenty of deep passes against the Broncos, and Smith man handled Champ Bailey through out the game. The Broncos defense was expose, they need more players on their defense.
3. Dallas Cowboys: Every year we hear how good they are, how they will win their division, how they will make the playoffs, and how they will win the Superbowl. They never do. Year in and Year out, it doesn’t happen, and it has been quiet awhile since the Dallas Cowboys have made the playoffs. They have a good RB in Murray, they have good WRs, and they have a good front defensive line. What is missing? Seems like QB Tony Romo, still can’t win the big games, he doesn’t perform well in pressure games, and every year we wait for Romo to grow and make that leap into an “elite” QB, but it has yet to happen. I have no idea how much longer the Dallas Cowboys can keep sticking with Tony Romo. The Cowboys are starting to remind me of the Jets, not having the ability to get rid of people they need too, for example, Jason Garrett, possibly Tony Romo, Jets, Rex Ryan, and Mark Sanchez. The Cowboys also need offensive line to do a better job of protecting their QB. The Cowboys should start drafting some offensive linemen.
4. San Diego Chargers: They were suppose to be better this season, although, I had my doubts considering they had dealt away their weapons, their best weapons. The Chargers have Phillip Rivers, but it doesn’t seem like much else. They need weapons, and defensive players to help this team get back in playoff form.
5. Pittsburgh Steelers: They didn’t make the playoffs this season which is so rare in their rich history. They had Big Ben, Mike Wallace, and countless others in their system, yet could not make the playoffs. Big Ben and the new offensive coordinator, Todd Haley, did not mesh from the start, and it showed through out the season. Big Ben felt like he could not move around a lot, and be Big Ben, and do what he does best, because Haley wanted him to stay in the pocket and try to take less hits. Big Ben was hit in the pocket anyways, suffered a few injuries, especially one serious one, involving his shoulder and ribs. The offensive line hurt the Steelers in a big way, as well as their defense showing their age.
6. Chicago Bears: They didn’t make the playoffs and that was very surprising for a team who was favored to win their own division. Jay Cutler was hurt again this season, forced to miss a few games, and a few crucial games at that. When Cutler was in the game, the offensive line was horrendous for the most part, and couldn’t protect him, so the Bears need to fix that and fix that fast. The defense was beyond great to start the season, and mid way through the season, but then they became vulnerable when they lost Brian Urlacher, their heart and soul, the clear leader of the defense. People thought Brian had lost a step, or a few steps as a player, but it became evident, he is the main engine to that defense, especially as a leader, and getting the defense set.
7. Detroit Lions: They made the playoffs last year, it felt like they had finally made the steps forward in the right direction, then this season happen, and they take steps backwards, missing the playoffs. The Lions offense struggled at times, but the connection between Stafford and Johnson was not lacking. They need to add another weapon for QB Matthew Stafford, a tight end, and other wide outs, and they definitely need a RB. The defense needs help, Suh, and Fairley are good players on the line, but their secondary is hurting for talent.
8. Green Bay Packers: They made the playoffs, of course, since they have Aaron Rodgers. The whole season, however, it always felt like the Packers were missing something. They wasn’t scoring as much on offense, or at least not being as offensively dominant, as we are use to seeing, but they were not the problem. The Packers need to add a RB to help out the passing game from time to time as well as some offensive linemen, as they were a huge issue, however. The defense was the main problem. Sometimes they showed up, but most of the time, they did not. They need to add another pass rusher and get younger in the back field.
9. New York Giants: They didn’t make the playoffs. They were right on the bubble, but this year, playing with fire as they are use too, back fired on the team. The Giants do this though, sometimes they make the playoffs, get hot, and go on an run, other times, they don’t even make the playoffs. The Giants defense let them down in many games, just not showing up and they need some back field talent as well.
10. New Orleans Saints: They were not expected to do well, but with Drew Brees, people thought they might make the playoffs. Didn’t happen, proving the worth of their head coach Sean Payton, and proving just how devastating the bounty gate was. The Saints defense was terrible, and they need to clean up the defense fast.
11. Carolina Panthers: After the season Cam Newton had and the offensive linemen, Ryan Kalil, said the team would win the Superbowl, you would have thought they would have had an chane to make the playoffs. The team did not make any strides from last season, and missed the playoffs, they actually wasn’t even close to making it. They finished the season out in style, but to little to late for the Panthers. They need to get some defensive players, and maybe add another weapon.